" Great Little City With A Big Heart "
One of few cities on the
original Oregon Trail
" THE OREGON TRAIL"
By Farewell Bend, the last camp on the weary journey across the
Snake River and wound overland to the Columbia.
Huntington became the only incorporated city in Baker County
on the Oregon Trail in 1891 with Home Rule Law.
Remnants of the Old Oregon Trail can still be seen today traveling northward from
Farewell Bend State Park toward the town of Huntington on Highway 30.
Evidence of hardship and tragedies during the pioneer movement still exists.
A small iron cross, visible from Highway 30, marks the location where Snake
River Shoshone Indians killed a number of unfortunate emigrants in 1860.
In 1870, Miller's Stagecoach Station was established before the coming of the railroad in 1884.
It soon became the primary shipping point for the great cattle country to the south. Huntington, named for JB and JM Huntington, brothers who purchased Miller's holdings in 1882, was a
rugged frontier town, having it's share of saloons, Chinese opium dens, and gunslingers.
At the turn of the century, Huntington developed a reputation as "Sin City".
Governor Oswald West was motivated to clean the city up, along with
Copperfield, in 1912-1914
Catfish Capitol of Oregon
Any comments, questions or problems with the site
Designed, © Copyright, and maintained by Louise Shreffler