The Pleasant Valley post office was established September 28, 1868,
On March 21, 1890, the Pleasant Valley post office reopened
According to Isaac Hiatt, author of "31 Years in Baker County," Pleasant Valley came into being as a way station on the very early Place Toll Road in 1865, a freight station on the railroad in 1884, the route of Old Oregon Trail Highway 30 and was slightly bypassed by Interstate 84.
It is the home of the multiple stone quarries that supply the building materials for Baker County's well known "Grey Stone City" of Eastern Oregon, but now Pleasant Valley is only another addition to our Ghost Towns of Baker County.
Earlier Pleasant Valley had become a city of basic population with enough
In 1874 School Superintendent W. F. Payton organized District #12 with a
The district even added some high school classes for a few years before consolidating with Baker's 5 J in 1949. Students were then bussed into Baker City schools.
The third and last schoolhouse of this area was constructed of the nearby
If you would like to to this history page,
Own a business, have a club or organization in Pleasant Valley
BAKERCOUNTY.NET is © Copyright, owned and maintained by Louise Shreffler